Thursday, January 1, 2009

Emptied

I have been thinking, as has the WORLD these days, about resolutions. Every year, I feel the pressure to "renew" at the start of the new year. I usually come up with my own little, mostly private, list of things I "need to work on". This year, I am having a hard time with that. OH, I have LOTS that could be worked on, believe me. It isn't for lack of material. I think it is just that my desire now has changed. My perspective has been altered somehow. I read so many blogs where people are trying to change. I have even used my own space here as a sounding board for all those things/characteristics that I don't like in myself. Yet, as I thought about the goals I could set for myself this year, I kept getting a pit in my stomach. The more I thought about what I needed to change, the more I realized how self-centered I was being. Even in my desire to be more righteous, I am taking my eyes off of the Lord and giving myself power WELL out of my own control.

I want to be empty. That is what I want for this year. I want, each day, to empty myself and to be filled with that of God. I want to decrease much this year, so the HE can increase IN me and through me. Isn't this the only goal any of us, who claim the cross, should strive for each day-each year?

I have been reading 2 Corinthians 5 and I am going to memorize it over the next few weeks/months. I love where it talks about knowing that if we are at home in the body, we are away from he Lord. I want to be away from the body and at home with my Lord--to please him. (2 Cor 5:6-9) I just want to be focused each day on Christ. If THAT can be my daily focus, to be His vessel, then righteousness, peace, self-control will FLOOD over me, because they come from Him alone; not by my works and not by my power, but from Christ alone.

This new year promises so many GREAT events in my life. From Nathan's graduation from college to the birth of an already much-loved, much-prayed for child (to my sister-from-another-Mother),we have a LOT of joy to look forward to this year. OH! Those two days alone are two days that will be among the top 10 moments in my life! I am eager to see God at work in my life this year. I am eager to feel His presence, as I did this past year. I am looking forward to thinking less of myself and looking more to the one who has already made me a new creation by His blood.
For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might
become the righteousness of God. (2 Corinthians 5:21)


HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

2 comments:

Erin Emigh Stanford said...

What can I say? T-E-A-R-S That's all I got for now. Love you and am so appreciative of you!

Jarrod, Dawn, Trevor and Mackenzie said...

:D