Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Looking back

At the turn of the new year, I posted about my desire to NOT have a resolution for 2009. I want to be emptied of me completely. I tried to convey then, my reasoning in that I am afraid that even too much self-evaluation, too much "What do I need to change?" can come from a pit of selfishness that I need to avoid.

I found this quote on a bloggy-friend Abby's post this morning and it conveys EXACTLY where my heart is.

“The man who has faith is the man who is no longer looking at himself, and no longer looking to himself. He no longer looks at anything he once was. He does not look at what he is now. He does not [even] look at what he hopes to be as the result of his own efforts. He looks entirely to the Lord Jesus Christ and His finished work, and he rests on that alone. He has ceased to say, ‘Ah yes, I have committed terrible sins but I have done this and that…’ He stops saying that. If he goes on saying that, he has not got faith… Faith speaks in an entirely different manner and makes a man say, ‘Yes, I have sinned grievously, I have lived a life of sin… yet I know that I am a child of God because I am not resting on any righteousness of my own; my righteousness is in Jesus Christ, and God has put that to my account.’”


- D. M. Lloyd-Jones, quoted by Timothy Keller in The Message of Romans (Redeemer Presbyterian Church, 2003), 59.


Off to the gym now! Happy Wednesday!

1 comment:

Abby said...

Thanks for the shout out! Isn't that a great quote? I get quotes like that EVERY day on Of First Importance...they come in my email box every morning...they go along with one my goals this year...to preach the gospel to myself more! Have a GREAT weekend!