Monday, December 15, 2008

It must have been a glorious night indeed.

Nathan and I were talking through the words to my favorite Christmas carol yesterday. Actually, we were trying to remember all of them. It is one of those songs that people tend to make up their own words to and we were trying to think of all he CORRECT words. LOL!

While we were saying just the first chorus, the words (highlighted below) just jumped in my soul. I teared up as my mind immediately visualized their meaning.

Join me in my mind for a moment as I describe what I saw when I heard these words:

"Long lay world in sin and error pining. `Til He appreared and the soul felt it's worth."

This world before Christ's birth, pining away in all of it's sin, trying to desperately to live according to the law, and offering sacrifice after sacrifice in order to remain in fellowship with the Lord. There was ALWAYS a sin to be sacrificed for. There was always blood that needed spilling in order that the law could be kept.

Then, like fresh, cold water poured over a steaming hot and cracked earth..........................Jesus. It is hard not to raise my hands and bow my head even typing that now.

Jesus

This baby grew up and was killed for MY sin on the cross. There was no longer a need for the blood sacrifices. The sacrifice, the sentence, for MY sin was carried out. Wow. This baby, born that holy night, was intended to grow up without sin of His own, and then have HIS blood spilled for MY sin.

Humbling isn't a mighty enough word. Because THIS night happened, the cross happened and I will SEE God's glory. Because God sent THIS baby, my children may never know death. Because of THIS baby and His sacrifice, I don't have to "pine away" in my own sin and error AND I don't have to wallow in pity for sins committed against me. I can live in the FREEDOM of God's forgiveness, His mercy, and His perfect, perfect love for me.

I hope that you have, at least few, minutes set aside over the next two weeks, to meditate on what this holy night meant in terms of your life. It wasn't an accident that Christ was born. God sent Him. He sent His Son for me and He sent Him for you. Whatever your needs are right now, I pray that you will take a moment to recognize the worth of that manger and then pass by it in your mind on your way to the foot of the cross, where you can lay all of your needs and all of your sin down this Christmas Season. God bless you. Merry Christmas!

O Holy Night

O holy night, the stars are brightly shining;
It is the night of the dear Savior’s birth!
Long lay the world in sin and error pining,
Till He appeared and the soul felt its worth.
A thrill of hope, the weary soul rejoices,
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn.
Fall on your knees, O hear the angel voices!
O night divine, O night when Christ was born!
O night, O holy night, O night divine!

Led by the light of faith serenely beaming,
With glowing hearts by His cradle we stand.
So led by light of a star sweetly gleaming,
Here came the wise men from Orient land.
The King of kings lay thus in lowly manger,
In all our trials born to be our Friend!
He knows our need—to our weakness is no stranger.
Behold your King; before Him lowly bend!
Behold your King; before Him lowly bend!

Truly He taught us to love one another;
His law is love and His Gospel is peace.
Chains shall He break for the slave is our brother
And in His Name all oppression shall cease.
Sweet hymns of joy in grateful chorus raise we,
Let all within us praise His holy Name!
Christ is the Lord! O praise His name forever!
His pow’r and glory evermore proclaim!
His pow’r and glory evermore proclaim!

1 comment:

Faye Creech said...

So very true!! I love that sng (and many others), too, and it's the impact of the words and the music straight into my dead, sinful heart and the contrast with HIS love and light that just never ceases to awe and humble me. Thanks and may you and your all have a wonderful CHRISTmas!
-F