Sunday, July 20, 2008

What is your legacy?

I've been meditating on the song Legacy by Nicole Nordeman lately. It should be playing from my songlist below. I heard this song a long while ago and it made an impression. The words speak SUCH truth to me whenever I hear them. How will my children remember me? What will they know to be true about their Mama's heart? Will they be able to say that, above all other things, I showed love?

I want them too. I think that they will, but still, it is a DAILY thought of mine. It is tough to do when so much around me points to the world's view of success and achievement.

Sometimes it is very easy to set goals that aren't where they should be. I have seen people beat themselves up over not achieving success in certain areas of their lives, only to overlook some pretty wonderful things they have shined in. On the contrary, too many people set out to succeed at other goals that aren't worth the time spent pondering them. Those people usually like to have admirers other than the Lord. Often times, those too are the people that miss out on some of the most precious gems that the Lord has hidden in their journey, because their eyes are looking in the incorrect direction.

Don't be that person. Don't set lofty goals that look good to the world, but will burn up like wood before the Lord. Leave a legacy on this earth that MATTERS.



Legacy by Nicole Nordeman *you can click on the song title in the playlist to listen as you read

I don't mind if you've got something nice to say about me
And I enjoy an accolade like the rest
You could take my picture and hang it in a gallery Of all who's who and so-n-so's that used to be the best At such'n'such ... it wouldn't matter much

I won't lie, it feels alright to see your name in lights
We all need an 'Atta boy' or 'Atta girl'
But in the end I'd like to hang my hat on more besides the temporary trappings of this world

Chorus
I want to leave a legacy.
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love?
Did I point to You enough To make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering,
A child of mercy and grace who blessed your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy .

I don't have to look too far or too long awhile To make a lengthly list of all that I enjoy
It's an accumulating trinket and a treasure pile Where moth and rust, thieves and such will soon enough destroy

Chorus

Not well traveled, not well read, not well-to-do or well bred Just want to hear instead, "Well Done" good and faithful one...

3 comments:

debi9kids said...

What a beautiful post and very moving as well.
So important to have a life with purpoe!

Joy for the Seasons said...

I needed this encouragement this evening...this after my middle girl over lunch said school at home is no fun because Mommy yells too much. Ouch. That is not the legacy I want to leave.

Jarrod, Dawn, Trevor and Mackenzie said...

Wow, this post is so true, and a little convicting! I sometimes get caught up in worldly goals and loose sight of what's important! You struggle for peace and happiness when you take your sight of Him and focus on yourself!